Sunday, March 17, 2013


Jesus is Home

Yesterday afternoon the door bell rang. Fairly unusual occurrence and sure to set the dogs into a frenzy of barking. My middle son, having stopped by the house on his way home from work, turned and asked, “Expecting anyone?”

I said, ‘I think it’s just Jesus. Betsy called to tell me she was bringing him home.” And, yes, it was Jesus at the door. Betsy and I greeted each other and she placed him in my arms.

For those of you who have not been introduced, Jesus is a soft sculpture “doll.” He’s not a baby doll. He’s a bearded, tunic–ed and sandaled Jesus. His skin is a wonderful shade. Not quite olive, definitely not white. His eyes are deep brown, and his hair is parted in the middle, hanging gently, just below his ears.

I was glad to see him.

He’s gone many places – but usually we go together –visiting patients at Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital or hanging out with my Div School Field Studies Class.

Jesus had a busy week. Sundays, are of course, a hectic day for him. Then, on Tuesday, he went with me to the Presbyterian Women’s Bible study. I had been invited to lead their study on Children and the Household of God, based on 1 John 2 and 3. A difficult study, and I admit I tip toed around some of it, choosing to focus on 1 John 3:1  “See what kind of love the Father has given to us in that we should be called God’s children, and that is what we are!” (CEB) 

During our time together, I “introduced” them to Jesus, and explained that each week during children’s worship, we pass him around the circle so that each child can have a turn to hold him while they share. We then passed “Jesus” around their circle, and as they held him, they shared their reflections on how the church’s attitude towards children has changed through the years. Many wonderful memories were shared, memories of loving Sunday School teachers who had taught them that they are God’s children. I loved watching them hold Jesus on their laps as they spoke.

Jesus went to visit a friend’s Jr. High group for their Wednesday night program. The girls there welcomed him, too, and again, everyone took a turn holding him. They were remembering how Jesus washed the disciples’ feet, inviting his friends to “love one another as I have loved you.”

Today Jesus will be back at church to greet the children who come to children’s worship. He’ll get passed around the circle again. His hair will get tousled; played with and “combed over” into many various configurations. He tolerates it all. He doesn’t complain when he gets tossed, and seems to like doing the occasional flip.

After all, this is Jesus, the one who said, “Anyone who welcomes a little child in my name, welcomes me.”  Matthew 18:5

This is Jesus, who said, “Let the children come to me, and forbid them not, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” Matthew 19:14

Thank you, Betsy, for bringing Jesus home.

You have done that for me before, as have other dear friends.

Thank you for ringing my doorbell and placing him in my arms on those days when Jesus seemed far from me, lost to me.

Thank you for bringing him home to me…

Who brings Jesus home to you?

Who reminds you that you are a precious child of God, for beloved, that is what you are.

For whom could you bring Jesus home? Who needs to be reminded that they are "beloved?"

Behold what manner of love our God has given to us - that we should be called children of God! Amen!
Jesus hanging out at Field Studies Class


Professor Trudy & JC





No comments:

Post a Comment